Monday, March 20, 2006

I totally own a gun

There were so many choices for what to talk about here... Unwed fathers' parental rights, Mansfield's new book "Manliness," I really great op/ed piece by Jon Carroll, calling right-wingers "thoughtless, gossip-mongering abominations." (Actually, I think I may very well have to come back to this later on.) But, time is limited & I have a term paper looming over my shoulder.

So, instead, I'm just going to comment briefly on an ABC News, "Women Get Trigger Happy: More Women are Buying and Using Guns." ("Available here") The article talks about the NRA's "Women on Target" program, which is trying to encourage women to own & use guns. (They're worried about the little ladies' safety.) I don't much care for the NRA, myself. I see no reason to argue that Joe Suburban has the right to own an AK-47 or armor-piercing bullets.

But, I do own a gun. A Remington 12-gauge shotgun. She lives in my closet. When I was in my senior year of high school, I was the captain my high school's girl trapshooting squad. And, I took 4th place in the state high school trapshooting competition. (It was way fun. A neat little day trip. I beat out a couple dozen FFA girls & came in 4th, while my friend, Maggie, took 2nd place, after a shoot-out for 1st place.)

And, I support gun ownership, as long as gun owners have some reasonable understanding of gun safety.

So, I will support the NRA this one time (the pain!) and say, way to teach women how to responsibly use guns. Train them & teach them safety. Give them practice so that, when they do use their guns, they don't shoot wildly into a crowd.

On a side note, I also found a sleeve of Tag-Alongs in my cupboard & I'm so awesomely happy about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home